Sunday, 2 February 2014

APPLICATION



Applying use and gratification

Use and gratification theory of the audience is based on the use of media in terms of the gratification of social or psychological needs of the individual. I am going to be using this definition to apply it to the ideal reader I have profiled for my music magazine. I would be using the magazine which I'm researching as an example.

  • Information provided about the music artist- Musical career breakthroughs, Relationships, Rivals and Lifestyle.
  • Sense of personal identity the reader has with the magazine and music forms that the magazine promotes-the reader relates with the magazine on its style and fashion sense, the music tastes in Hip hop, afro-centric and R&B genres.
  • How the music magazine promotes a sense of belonging as a part of a community of readers- the readers are able to relate to each other by the type of artists being featured, the clothes being promoted and others product promotions, readers would listen to the similar type of music, probably go to the same parties, and have a similar lifestyle to what the magazine tries to promote.
  • Form of entertainment for the reader- Relationships/artist beef/rumours, concerts and artist tours, interviews, political views, fashion trends and club/party reviews.
  • Form which the entertainment takes and how they create a form of escapism for the reader- Giving you a personal tour with an artist; this allows the reader to aspire to live the artist's life and escape into that lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment