The Study of Signs & Meaning
I will be looking at the THEORETICAL UNDERSTANDING of my work.Creating a sense of collective identity:
Mode of Address-was quite narrative. Clean, stylish, simplicity & wealth.808 Magazine was created to be different, subtle, unique, artistic, serious, simple, stylish, to have originality within the Hip-Hop and R&B music world.
Layout-Simple & organised
Colour- Gold, white, black & Aquamarine.
People I chose to take pictures of-two males of ethnic origin, dressing, facial expression and body language were chosen to show strength, fashion sense, wealth, style-it's made for an audience which appreciate music, and want to know much more about the music. For those who listen to music, want a deeper meaning into their music and are quite stylish.
Cost- average-for financially stable-not expensive not too cheap just Okay.
My Template approach:
I was aiming for a simple and artistic template, so each publication of my magazine would have a gold frame, a black and white high quality image placed in the centre within the frame, the Header-808 right aligned with a subtle colour and other minimal subtle coloured text.Reason for dressing my characters in a certain type of clothing, facial EXPRESSION & POSTURE-Reason for my Location:
Dressing-My characters were wearing suits and jewelleries because I wanted to represent them as wealthy, stylish, into fashion & formal. To show that they're business men, not just artists.Facial Expressions-I wanted an intense face-a serious facial expression, shows they're serious about what they do.
Posture-I wanted that body posture so as to show that they are in power, they're a boss and aren't movable-strength.
Location-I chose a studio because I wanted a simple background for the front cover, and I needed the focus to be more on the artists.
SEMIOTIC THEORY
Iconic-It is what it isSymbolic/Arbitrary-Has a meaning that must be culturally learned because it doesn't look like what it represents.
Indexical-Has a connection to what it represents and is more suggestive, rather than directly resembling what they represent.
Is the main image of my front cover Iconic, Symbolic or Indexical?
The image I used is symbolic because the artists have to be culturally learned.While my magazine front cover is indexical because it doesn't look like a music magazine.
No comments:
Post a Comment